8 Water Sound Combinations of to Try Before Bed Tonight
There’s something inexplicably soothing about the sound of water. Whether it’s a late afternoon at the beach, a quiet stream, or the sound of a small fountain trickling near you, water sounds are a great solution if you struggle to fall relax and fall asleep.
Why Do Water Sounds Help People Fall Asleep?
Have you ever wondered what it is about water sounds that makes them so helpful for better sleep? Not only are water sounds usually rhythmic and predictable, but they also act as white noise that helps block out undesirable sounds that could disturb your sleep.
According to research published in 2017, listening to water sounds reduces the sympathetic response, which is your “fight or flight” mode. At the same time, it increases your parasympathetic response, or the “rest and digest” mode.
Finally, this same study showed that soothing soundswere capable of reducing the brain activity responsible for stress, anxiety, and depression.
Benefits of Listening to Water Relaxing Sounds
The world is fast-paced and you can often find yourself rushing about to work, to social events, and home again. You might be able to squeeze in a quick workout in the evening, but often don’t and find yourself finishing up a piece of work and going straight to bed.
Without time to relax and wind down, you may find yourself in bed with your mind racing. If this sounds like you, listening to water relaxing sounds could be just what you need. Here are a few of the benefits:
Stress and Anxiety Relief
Stress and anxiety can become part of daily life with goals to reach and deadlines to meet. If you don’t take the time to relieve it, you might start to notice a toll on your physical and mental health.
The slow crashing of waves and the driving hum of rain are naturally soothing to the brain. Listening to water sounds on a break from work or before bedtime will help you relax and de-stress.
Do you find it hard to concentrate on one task at a time with emails popping up, your phone dinging, and meetings scattered throughout the day? With so many distractions, it can be hard to concentrate and see one task through to the end.
Luckily, listening to nature sounds, and particularly water sounds, can help to improve concentration. According to research, nature sounds boost mood and increase productivity.
Its thought this is because nature sounds increase the activity of the rest-digest nervous system (associated with relaxation) which helps people to focus better.
Improved Sleep Quality
It can be so frustrating when you get into bed feeling groggy and tired and then when you try to sleep, your mind suddenly comes alive with all the things you need to get done.
Water relaxing sounds have a similar effect to white noise - masking environmental noise and helping you relax. This can help you fall asleep quicker and stay asleep for longer.
Recommended Combinations of Water Sounds to Mix Together
- Thunder and rain: While it feels risky to be outside during a lightning storm, the sound of thunder and rain can provide a sense of safety as you snuggle beneath your blankets.
- Dolphin sounds and deep ocean sounds: Embrace the sound of the sea and dive deep into its depths. The addition of dolphin (or even whale) sounds, can help you feel cocooned and comfortably isolated while you sleep.
- Waterfall sounds and streams (or rivers): Waterfalls have to fall somewhere — that’s usually in a river or a stream. That’s why the sound of streams pairs well with waterfalls. Try layering in forest sounds with these two options.
- Waves and rain on a tent: Imagine yourself sleeping in a tent in the woods near a beach, the waves lapping against the shore nearby. It just so happens that it’s raining at the same time, but you’re safe and sound (and dry) in your tent, slowly drifting off to sleep. Try it out!
- Shower and dripping sink: If you prefer relaxing to sounds that would come from inside your home, combining the shower with a dripping sink can help ease your mind.
- Bamboo fountain with icy snow: Imagine a quiet winter’s night, with a slow, gentle snowfall and a bamboo fountain flowing nearby. It’s cold outside, but you’re nice and warm in your bed.
- Driving in the rain: Do you have memories of falling asleep in a car while the raindrops fell against the windshield? The combination of the low hum of a running car with the sound of the rain will bring you right back to those nostalgic moments.
- Aquarium with a dishwasher: Here’s another combination that could make you feel at home. The calming sound of bubbles from an aquarium paired with the steady white noise of the dishwasher will help block out any unwanted sounds while you drift off to sleep.
Use BetterSleep to Listen to Water Sounds So You Can Get to Sleep Faster
The BetterSleep app offers an excellent range of features to help you sleep faster and for longer. Enjoy over 200 soothing sounds including ASMR, white noise, relaxing water sounds, spoken whispers, melodies, and more.
Listen to a range of calming water sounds and choose heavier rain or wind which work well to drown out traffic noise. You can download pre-made mixes or create your own for a soundscape that is totally yours.
Now you know why relaxing water sounds help you sleep and which apps are the best to find these sounds on. But remember, listening to water sounds alone will not improve your sleep.
Make sure you stick to a healthy bedtime routine each day. This includes going to bed at the same time, reducing screen time, taking part in relaxing activities such as meditation and yoga, and turning your bedroom into a calming oasis.
The BetterSleep app allows you to mix a rich library of sounds and create custom relaxation mixes. Not only can you combine water sounds, but you can add guided affirmations, musical instruments, and even animal sounds. Try BetterSleep for free to create your own sound mix and fall asleep faster tonight.
Join us on a restful journey to sleep.
BetterSleep helps you fall asleep easily with soothing sounds, sleep meditations, bedtime stories, breathing exercises and much more.
Combine the different features and mix them together to create your own perfect sleep sanctuary!
Download BetterSleep now and join a community of millions of people we help guide to sleep every night.