Meditation is an effective stress reliever and can lead to increased inner calm, happiness, and well-being with regular practice. But, like with many habits that are good for us, we often can’t find the time to make them happen.
Luckily, there is more than one way to meditate. One blissful method is to meditate in the bath. Bathtub meditation combines standard meditation with the soothing, calming atmosphere of a steamy, relaxing bath. Research has even shown that hot baths are as effective at relieving depression as much as physical exercise.
Get Prepared for a Bathtub Meditation
Now you know that you can meditate in the bath. Here are the things you need to do to prepare for a soothing bath meditation.
- Select a guided meditation. Choose a relaxing meditation on the BetterSleep app such as the Bathtime Relaxation Ritual.
- Fill your bath with warm water. Add in a bubble bath or a bath bomb of your choice.
- Choose a calming essential oil. Sprinkle a few splashes of lavender or chamomile oil into the water for relaxation.
- Create a relaxing ambiance. Light a few candles around the bath and dim the lights.
- Eliminate distractions. Keep your phone out of the room and let your family know you need 30 minutes to yourself.
- Maximize your pampering time. Treat yourself to a nourishing face mask and a herbal tea or a cool glass of lemon-infused water.
How to Meditate in the Bath
Now you’re ready for your bathtub meditation. Climb into the bath, close your eyes and take a few seconds to center yourself. Inhale the delicious scents around you, then exhale giving a deep sigh.
Rest your head on a folded towel on the side of the tub. Take a moment to feel the warm water soaking into your muscles and stretch out your toes. Take a few more deep breaths, inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth, letting your body relax deeper every time.
Start your guided meditation on the BetterSleep app. Continue to breathe and take in the wonderful scents wafting around you. Notice how the bubbles pop and fizz in the warm water and gently soothe your skin.
Stay in the present. If you notice your mind wandering or thoughts racing, gently bring your attention back to where you are without judgment. If you’re new, aim for 5 minutes and work your way up.
Bathtub meditation is a great way to fit meditation into a busy schedule. Don’t put any pressure on yourself to feel or perform a certain way. Aim to breathe deeply, focus on the present and enjoy the experience. Check the BetterSleep app for relaxing meditations and soothing sleep sounds.
Join us on a restful journey to sleep.
BetterSleep helps you fall asleep easily with soothing sounds, sleep meditations, bedtime stories, breathing exercises and much more.
Combine the different features and mix them together to create your own perfect sleep sanctuary!
Download BetterSleep now and join a community of millions of people we help guide to sleep every night.